Willistown Township is a township in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 10,497 at the 2010 census.
Originally settled by Lenni Lenape Native Americans, Willistown Township was part of the 50,000 acres (200 km2) Welsh Tract surveyed for William Penn in 1684. The Holmes Map of 1681 is the first reference to Willistown, calling it "Willeston". In 1704, Willistown was organized as a township.
A Native American reservation was located here and is memorialized by a monument. The first roads in Willistown Township were Native American trails. In 1710, three cowpaths were established here: Goshen, Sugartown, and Boot. Those roads are still in existence, under the same names. The Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad, later to be known as the Pennsylvania Railroad, had its eastern terminus in this township. The terminus was moved to Frazer in 1870
Above from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Complete Wikipedia information here.
The other remaining roads from that time are Sugartown Road (1710 and 1732), which was the first road to pass directly through the township, and Boot Road (1710). As a result, the Willistown Stone Crushing Company was organized to supply gravel for roads. The crusher, which was used to mesh large rocks for gravel, is still located within the township.
Above from Willistown Township Website. Complete information here.
|Useful links for Willistown Township|
|Township Webstite||Great Valley Area School District|
|Malvern Historical Commission||SEPTA Paoli-Thorndale Train|
|Paoli Battlefied - Paoli Massacre||Paoli Hospital|
|Chester County Website|
|Malvern Borough Information Page||Malvern Area Information Page|
|Charlestown Township Information Page||Return to MikeMcDaid.com|
|East Whiteland Township Information Page|